Do you have a passion to share Jesus among the many unreached peoples of SE Asia? Want to serve on a ministry team in Thailand or other nearby nations? If so, the upcoming Chiang Mai School of Frontier Missions (SOFM) is for you.
Learn. Grow. Explore.
The Thailand SOFM focuses on preparing students to share the Good News with Muslims & Buddhists in SouthEast Asia. Get trained to understand Muslim and Buddhist worldview and belief systems, plant growing churches, and get placed on a team.
This is no lecture-heavy, theoretical training. Staff and students will be experimenting with culture, worship, and local-style evangelism throughout the school. We will visit mosques and temples together, spend time in local communities, and learn from those around us. You will hear from experienced field workers, staff & church planters, who have years of ministry, countless stories, and eye-opening case studies to learn from.
Here are a few of the major topics we will cover:
- Biblical and Historical Basis of Missions
- Understanding Culture and Worldview
- Language Learning & Cross-Cultural Living
- Pioneering, Planting and Multiplying the Kingdom of God
- Church Planting Movements (fishing with nets, instead of poles)
- Worldview and Beliefs of Buddhist and Muslims
- Church-Planting among SE Asian People Groups
- Mission Strategy (thinking and planning what needs to be done on the field)
- Business, Community Development, and Media as part of long-term strategy
- Effective Teams and Pioneering
- Habits of Great Teams and Effective Church-Planters
- Team Building and Dynamics (how to build great team relationships)
- Building a Great Support Base (financial, prayer, coaching, etc.)
- And more!
Training / Field Assignment
This year's school covers a full year – August 2017 through September 2018. After 4 weeks of training in Chiang Mai, the first phase of internship begins. You will spend 3 months on a field location, learning the language and culture of unreached people. This will be followed by the 2nd phase of training – 2 more weeks early in 2018. By alternating between the training and field internship phases, you can put what you are learning into practice immediately and come into training times with real life questions and situations to process.
After the SOFM finishes, you will be paired with a church-planting team for 1 year or more – often in the same location you've been working in during the SOFM internship phase. In addition, you will be offered additional training and coaching opportunities with experienced field-workers. Please consider coming with a vision for at least 2-3 years of full time ministry here in Thailand.
There are several field assignment locations available throughout this beautiful country. If you have a specific people group or location in mind, let us know!
The School of Frontier Mission (SOFM) will be an accredited course through YWAM's University of the Nations (UofN). You will receive a total of 24 credits through the UofN for completing the SOFM + Field Assignment.
The next SOFM begins on August 21, 2017
Prerequisite: YWAM's Discipleship Training School
Note: Online donations are NOT tax deductible.